Like us on facebook
Follow us on twitter
Follow us on instagram
Follow us on pinterest
Follow Us on Pinterest
Page 2 of 279 FirstFirst 12341222 ... LastLast
    Cozy Rookie Array

Hi,

Just want to share an information. Perhaps you can contact Mrs/Ms. Rohana from Hana Bridal & Wedding Services. She's provides a lot of services, from bridal package (engagement, solemnization & wedding event) to photography/videography. Will PM you for details, whether you want to know more about her services and hope it help

Cozy Rookie Array

D3stiny: Wonder if i know you. What bad experiences did your colleagues experience at Orchid Country Club? I just had my brother's wedding there last weekend and it was more than lovely.

Cozy Rookie Array

hii,

being in the industry, I must share that if you are taking a package frm any bridal house (makeup+photography+etcetc), you must make sure that the portfolio works they show you belong to the photographer who will come to the wedding.

I have experiences working *** mak andams who didn't show my portfolio and the clients I have didn't quite expect their photos to come out as expected. its best that you request to talk to photographer or videographer personally so that you can discuss your expectations *** him/her. gwim?

anyway, all the best for your search. I've met couples who have tight budgets and they are able to do a decent wedding. all you got to do is reseach (a LoT!) and plan well.

Cozy Rookie Array

Need help for engagement

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Not sure if this is the right thread for this topic.

I'm soon to be engaged in 2009 after i graduate, though we haven't fix the month yet.

So , i do not know where to start for engagement materials/things to do.

Some things about us:

My boyfriend isn't too excited about engagement because he didn't want a ceremony. In fact, he wanted just to marry but I doubt my parents would agree. Because i'm the youngest in the family, and i have not worked yet (fresh out of school).

So finally, i have gotten him to agree to having an engagement. He is not the romantic type, so we do/buy things together. We have started shopping for some stuffs because i will be having my last semester next year, and wont be too free to think of all these.

Problem is i do not know what to buy for my trays. I have a promise ring from him, so ring wise, i think i would just upgrade to a bigger diamond. Or should i buy a new one? And must it be white gold?

As for engagement reception, i think my mum would handle all that.

Wedding matters: Probably be in 2010/2011 unless i gain acceptance in overseas unis for my postgraduate studies faster than we planned. Then plans would have to change, get married overseas probably and hold sanding ceremony here, or come back and marry here.

We both don't like separate sanding majlis but no choice, parents want them because we both are the last ones to get married in respective families. So my sanding will be handled by my mother (nothing for me to worry there except for makeup and outfits, and hantaran).

More importantly: We intend to hold a wedding reception , outdoor preferably, for colleagues and close friends. I have a list of venues (looking for recommendations), am still deciding. He only wants 70 guests (is that too small a number?), i'm pressing for 100 guests. Food matters.. should we find an external caterer and rent the spot or find a spot which has caterer too? Would have to think of outfits, invitation cards, entertainment system and favours right?

House matters: I'm lucky because he has got his own place. So, if i stay in Singapore, we will be shuttling from his house to my parents' for awhile (because my parents quite reluctant to let me go). We are really hoping to migrate (hopefully , there's some of you here ladies that have experience on this can advise me) via my postgraduate studies.

Is there anything that i missed out on? Am i disorganized?

Last edited by missuscamis; 19-12-2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Cozy Rookie Array

Quote Originally Posted by cherrykisses View Post
    since i started this thread, i'll start the ball rolling.

after being together for more than 2 years and known each other for about 8 years before that, the boyfriend has recently been talking about settling down. there is no official proposal yet (we're malay muslims, and traditionally in our culture, an official proposal means engagement) but we have sort of drawn up a timeline that we are both agreeable to - an engagement in 2009 & the wedding in 2012/early 2013. if all goes well, we'll be tying the knot at 27 years of age.

we have not set a specific budget for the wedding yet, but we're roughly looking into saving up 50k between the both of us. the concern at the moment is whether this amount of money would be enough to pay for everything, given the rising costs of weddings these days.

will 50k be enough to pay for...

1. two wedding lunches/majlis bersanding & a solemnisation ceremony/majlis pernikahan for both sides, ie 2x venue decorations, a complete bridal package, 2x wedding favours, photo/videography, 2x on-site entertainment, 2x food buffet catering

(i know a lot of malay couples are now going into combined lunches to cut costs, but knowing my traditional parents, they'll disagree for sure. plus holding a combined wedding lunch would mean certain standard actual-day itineraries would have to be scrapped (correct me if i'm wrong here), like the part where the groom fetches his bride at her place, and as silly as this sounds, its one of my most favourite parts of the wedding and i don't want to do without it)

2. the dowry as well as wedding gifts. i estimate the gifts to cost $2k per person. the dowry will be decided by my parents, so no idea on that yet

3. other misc like bridal car deco, cake, wedding gift decorations, henna, invitation cards, green packets for the relevant people, booking of venue, kadi fee, etc etc

4. i'm wondering if we can fit a honeymoon into this budget as well. no destination set yet, though

as for life after marriage, there is a high likely that we'll be staying with my parents, at least for the next few years after marriage so i'm not too concerned about setting up a budget for a house. once we get engaged, we might try our luck with the hdb balloting system. if we're lucky enough to hit jackpot and secure a flat, we can always move in at a later date and start reno works bit by bit. my parents are not too keen on us staying on our own anyway, so im sure they will think of many excuses to keep us in my childhood home.

i need ideas, thoughts and tips from fellow malay brides or even those who's already crossed that bridge of love. anyone willing to share their wedding costs?
    My cousin recently did heres. Just for her side ( and it was quite an elaborate one) , she spent 25k thereabout. But she got a good pelamin decorator and mak andam.

Cozy Rookie Array

Default a proposal should be ok

Quote Originally Posted by midnightgale View Post
    hi ladies,i just want to find out if your boyfriend proposed marriage to you with an engagement ring (just like in most movies) ? Because since I was little I have this dream of being proposed to with an engagement ring...I am a muslim btw... i dont intend to sound "materialistic", but I studied well and worked hard and behaved myself that somehow I feel my expectations are justified. Please let me know what you think? What is your dream proposal like?

I gotten my pre-engagement ring or we call it our promise ring, in a very practical manner. Went to the shop a day after our first year anniversary, i tried on a few rings (just for fun), i said i like this one but it was out of his budget, so i chose the one of a smaller budget, then he paid.

He's not romantic but ok ***, quite sweet.

So recently we went engagement ring shopping and looking around. Probably will buy the ring together. Dont think there will be a proposal, although i dropped major hints on him already. Not expecting one anyway. Doesnt matter to me actually because he is paying for most of my expenses, right down to wedding stuffs.

I think it is a girl thing , thanks to media, to want that proposal.

Cozy Rookie Array

Zicon my engagement in 05 and wedding in 09

hi cotters!

i had my engagement in 2005. it was a mid-level affair, nothing grand but not that simple, haha.

the total cost for my side was only 2.5K. this included gifts, reception, decor, clothes and berkat.

i strongly believe in the power of families/or contacts. i managed to save a lot because we didn't have to engage professional services except for the caterer. my aunt who's good at crafts did the gubahan / berkat. very contemporary look, made of fresh flowers, small rattan baskets / trays and the like. i got engaged at her place so it was easy for her to decorate her bedroom too. plus she has this beautiful lace/knitted coverlet for her bed so we used that as well.

my other aunt who regularly buys flowers from the place near mediacorp there bought in bulk and got a discount. these flowers were used in the bilik pengantin, gubahan, living room, and the tables under the block.

for the caterer, we catered for 150+ guests and only requested simple satin table covers. only about 1.5K. the food was rice with 5 dishes, dessert and 2 drinks.

makeup and hair was done by my cousin who worked at elizabeth arden then. the baju was an elaborately sequinned kurung and organza shawl that i bought at joochiat and angsana (jb) respectively. we put it together without a mak andam so it wasn't very 'weddingish', for example i refused red lipstick and contouring, but i think i looked decent so it was okay.

i actually separated with him in may 2007 but we got back together in april 2008, and i know it seems very sudden but i will be doing the nikah and sanding in december 2009. so i only have 11 months left!

instead of the original two separate locations we planned on we will be doing a combined majlis. most likely will be engaging lagun sari as our caterer / decorator for the sanding. i'm still unsure where to hold it - cc? lagun sari itself (they have a ballroom of sorts) ? fort canning rise (dad's suggestion)? under the block? the first three have a more 'glam' location but my concern is that they have time limits. for under the block, we can totally party the day away, haha.

am in discussion and contact with a couple of andam services. i am doing evening nikah at home (with small reception for family afterwards), then the majlis the next afternoon. so i plan to only have 3 salinan. i'm not a fan of all the dress-up (HOT! ITCHY! SWEATY!) so i'm not looking forward to this, but i think the mak andam whom i'm pretty sure i will be engaging is fabulous with makeup and hair, so this evens things out.

for photoshoot, we will be doing that post-wedding, probably in 2010. photography and videography will be hired, still looking around for this. any suggestions, please?

it's a lot to save for in 11 months. so this is my plan, currently, i put about 800 every month from my salary to a different account, no excuses (that's 8.8K by november). i plan to put 1/2 of whatever bonuses i get (hopefully, that'll be about 2.4K by october.) i also participate in my grandma's senoman, with 2 names, and the total number of people in it are about 30, so that's 6K in july and august. together that'll be about 17200 saved? i figure that will be enough for my side's expenditure, gifts, and the combined cost of the majlis. ERRMMM plusss, hopefully my parents and grandmother might relent and help out a little so that's always a good thing.

i don't really care if it isn't grand or fancy, i would prefer simple, contemporary wedding, no frills, just the best day of my life ever. haha i'm already super excited again writing this.

Cozy Rookie Array

Zicon

Hi dears, just joined this forum and nice to see the thread up here!

Mmm ok...Allow me to introduce myself. Actually I'm happily married, and have been so for almost 3 years. My husband and I will be 25 years of age this year, and yes, that means we got married at 22. Hee..a bit young I know, but we have been with each other since JC days, and at that time both of our parents (being religious and conservative) did not like the idea of us going out and being seen and gossiped about by relatives.

So, at that time when both my husband and I were in Uni (different year), we tied the knot. It was truly a leap of faith. We were mentally-ready and emotionally-committed, however we were also rather financially-strapped being still students and all. We did not go into the whole affair of getting engaged because that would mean wasting time, money and effort. So we went ahead with what truly was necessary in the eyes of the law.

My husband and I paid for what we could afford (money earned from tuition), like the dais, Bridal services, photographer, wedding gifts...while my parents picked up the rest of the tab like the food, tentage. Till now, I am blessed and grateful and will be forever indebted to my parents.

It was a simple wedding affair at my void deck while his side has his at Jamiyah Islamic Centre. We took RH Bridal Services which included studio. Great package at around ($2660). Photographer was through them as well. We had our studio after our two-day event and the pictures turned out excellent because my make-up was done by Yaqin. Hee...My dais was from khajwedding. Hmmm...food and tentage were from my mom's friend. We shopped for the wedding gifts together and decorated them ourselves, so was my bridal room. The wedding gifts were simple, nothing high-end.

In all, a simple affair like mine would be around $20 k (for my side only) at this day and age. So $20 K (for 1 side) is a safe estimate for other couples out there to start saving at that rough benchmark.

Since we got married, we have lived at both sides of our parents houses. And it was truly an eye-opener for me especially,when I stayed over at his side. I learnt a lot about my husband, how his parents took care of him during his bachelor days. And of course, I was there to pick up from where they left off. Truly in this way, we understand each other so much better now after both of us have a chance to see how it's like to live with each other's families.

So now, we are waiting for our invitation to come down and select our flat. Hope it'll come soon!

I think weddings are a real personal affair and it truly depends on how each couple wants theirs to be. I hope each of yours will be truly your dream wedding. There should not be any regrets at the end of it all...
    Last edited by carrymelikewater; 01-01-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Hey gals, I'm so glad i found this thread..
    i'm getting engaged pretty soon too..and planning for a mid-2010 wedding
    anyway i have a very small family..probably 200pax plus friends..will come out to 300 pax.
    his family on the other hand is huge. so i'm not too keen on a combined wedding
    any of you have recommendations for good locations to hold a small dinner party for my family members and friends?

Cozy Celeb Array

Eh, 300 is not small.

What kind of dinner? sit-down, community centre type or what?

snowrunner: Small by malay standards, perhaps.

When I mentioned to my colleague that I only wanted to plan for 100 - 200 people, she laughed! Malay wedding invitations usually range from 500 onwards, sometimes 1000 and above.

i guess i'm looking at a restaurant wedding.
    i don't really have much relatives to receive the guests if i were to have it at the void-deck/CC.
    any of you ladies are able to recommend decent restaurants?
    i noticed that some of the ones i was considering had a few bad reviews online..so i'm thining twice abt them

Hi all,

My wedding is in Dec 09 and theres like 11 or 10 months to go!!! meaning I have that few mths more to SAVE!!! arrghhh....Mine will be not a grand one I think cause initially wanted to do it at CC but found out that 6 CCs around my area are all fully booked by MCYS/PAP for their events. The CC people even mention that seldom people can get CC in DECEMBER for weddings cause priority would be for their own CC events.

So now no other choice but to do it at void deck. My void deck cannot be used as its under lift upgrading. So the void decks which are available will be one bustop away. Im thinking of doing a separate tentage for the dais itself so it wont be so cramped.

Anyway, after doing some calculations my expenditure for my wedding will be around 19 to 20k not including catering n berkats cause all these my parents sponsored.

BTW, I'm taking RH bridal, Istana Weddings (decor & food), Flipside (video) & Lephotographe (photography).

Im thinking of nikah at the void deck itself cause there's already a dais. and furthermore my house wouldnt be in a mess as I estimated about 100 will be attending my nikah. so everything at the void deck.

So malay cotters here, care to share which service providers you taking?

Mine currently pending stuffs would be the dulang, cake, cards, berkats, bunga paha n sirih dara.

Do you guys know whether its necessary to have the bunga paha and sireh dara? Cause my mum dont really mind. She said dont waste money on all these.

I need opinions from u guys. =)

Cozy Celeb Array

corrzgal:

I used Anggun Andaman, and I was very satisfied with their services. Even my Chinese guests enjoyed their food, and the decor was great - very unusual and more modern. Services were top-notch, and they were very pro - not like that shaik sabri guy who got sued in berita for failing to deliver everything he promised at some brides' wedding.

However, what I've noticed is that all the "nonsense" only starts crawling out in the last two months. At first both sides agreed that dulang would be a waste of time and money. They said that 8 months before the wedding, and 3 months before the wedding, they still said waste of money. Then 1 month before, the grandparents suddenly went, "Huh? No dulang? WHAAAAAAAAT THE--?"

So we had to scramble to get it done. My advise is - don't add anything you're not interested in, but budget $$ and time for doing it anyway. :p

D3stiny:

I ended up having a lunch for about 850, and a dinner of 200 for just close friends and relatives.

Just to check with everyone... If gold is not permissable for guys, then what did you use for your rings? I read somewhere that for them, gold in general is not allowed, so no yellow/white versions for the men.

So do they take theirs in platinum or silver or something? Do you get a matching platinum pair or maybe white gold for the ladies and the other for them? Or just go ahead with the white gold versions since it's not gold per se anyway?

snowrunner: wow! I'd like to keep mine small, 300 at the very most. And one combined function, probably a lunch or something just for close friends and family

sha85: Not sure about restaurants, but one colleague had hers at Lagun Sari and said that not only was it expensive, the food wasn't great either. Maybe that'll be a place not to consider

Page 2 of 279 FirstFirst 12341222 ... LastLast