Follow us on twitter
Follow us on instagram
Follow us on pinterest
Follow Us on Pinterest
Page 1 of 73 1231121 ... LastLast
    Eve

Default Wedding Banquets: Ideas

Hi ladies
    On the verge of getting our own luv nest. Had in fact been putting off the 'traditional' wedding banquet / ideas for quite some time. DH's only son with no parents & the maximum tables we could sum up with *on DH's side* ie if we're going for those wedding banquets is 3-4 tables. To make things worse, both my parents come from huge, huge families, thus minimum tables around 10.
    DH was mentioning that he do have some fear living in the new apartment alone. He's rather timid & i did reassure him that i'll be living with him. i do sense major trouble if so. My parents are extremely conservative, even though we've already ROM, not going thru the 'traditional' wedding is consider not legalize wed in their point of views. We've been racking our brains out for a simple wedding invitation. i do really luv those church weddings but i doubt my parents are agreeable on this. We're trying to keep our wedding simple, chic & of course affordable / cheap ***
    Care to share any wedding banquets / ideas...any input is much appreciate.
    Last edited by nicole; 24-04-2003 at 08:28 PM.

Cozy Star Array

Hi Eve! Welcome! And congrats!

Can only think of having a simple garden party...like buffet style wedding reception. Sorry I can't think about anything other than this. Will chip in if i can think of any.
    Last edited by dolphin; 23-04-2003 at 10:11 AM.

Cozy Rookie Array

hope this helps

1. buffet at this restaurent located at mount faber. is not really at the top . it has this open air space shaped like a ship. you can just do your buffet and they give you free rental of that location. it has both indoors and outdoor area. is considerably cheap as the buffet head count is abt $8-$10 per person. and u only pay for the food.

2. try merchant court hotel. they do buffet style or high tea reception as well. it is not as expensive as a normal banquet and they have quite nice ambience and surroundings.

3. actually you can do church wedding as well. most church weddings provide a huge reception room for a lunch (catering ) venue. you can check out the types of catering available. prices range not sure sorry.

4. tung lok actually provides quite a selection of mid priced kind of dining for receptions, high tea and banquets. lowest price i can quote is abt $350 odd per table. they ahve many restaurents under tung lok so pricing also depends on the restaurent selected.

so far thats all i can think of. hope it helps you out.
    weddings are joyous occasion

Cozy Star Array

If you want to cut costs, tehre are some things you can do, but bear in mind that in such cases, you'll have to be prepared to make a number of sacrifices and DIY alot of stuff. Here's what you might wish to consider:

-Flowers / Decor: Flowers are normally provided by either the caterer, or the company you rent the location from. If and when you've found a restaurant/hotel/other wedding venue, tell them that you do not need flowers and try to lower the price(you'll be surprised how much you can lower.) Buy your own flowers from wholesale centres and round up a few friends to do a simple decor for the venue. Its really much simpler than you think. Eg: You can get mini table centrepieces at wholesale centres for $2up as opposed to the $8-$15 each charged by most restaurants. Buy ribbons, organza and beautiful fabrics yourself, secure a few stalks of sunflowers/lilies(which you get from whole sale centres) and there you have: a chair tieback which is worth $5-$15 each as charged by restaurants/hotels. The decor possibilities are endless.

-Don't buy a bridal package. Instead, rent a bridal gown or 2 off the rack. As for the car required on wedding day, use your own or borrow someone else's (friend's, relative's). Simple car decoration costs $30-$50 if you go to regular florists instead of bridal boutiques.

-Photography: On the actual day, get a friend to take pictures instead: you save another $300-$800

-Studio/outdoor photography: You might want to do this overseas, it could end up cheaper. or if locally, act interested in a package, and bargain your way by telling them you don't need real flowers/actual day gowns. So basically its just there-and-then photography. or if the budget is really tight, you might want to put this off till later?

Cozy Star Array

-Invitation cards: Get them from tecman at bras brasah(sp?), they have all kinds of invitation cards imaginable, all at very good prices (some bridal studios usetheir cards, mark up 100% and sell to their own customers).

Ideas for the wedding:

-the regular hotel/restaurant
    -rent a place like fort canning, art museum courtyard, sentosa, etc, hire your own caterer(you could save tonnes) and have your wedding there.
    -Do a hi-tea instead of a dinner (you could get to save, cause hi-tea menus are usually alot cheaper than dinners)

oh yes, if you do have your photography taken, make sure you check out if it's the actual photographer who took the pics of those display albums that you like, or they actually hired someone else to do it.

My 2 cousins went to JB to take their wedding photos, it's definitely cheaper, but the style is those "standard" style, you know, in the studio, smile here and there, very posy and what they call the "Taiwanese" style. (saw this term on singaporebrides.com) If you want a more avant garde feel then do your research first

sweetmango, you have just given me some idea about my post rom obligatory hi-tea on that day!

Eve

Hi ladies
    Thanx so much, u girls ROCK. i really do luv the ideas of buffet dinners & hi-teas. But my main concern is whether those relatives will come in the end. Friends are definitely fine, alright.

minmin, in fact, i've got my post rom lunch @ merchant hotel. Nice food & services, & the pricing was definitely within our budget. Quite a good catch IMO.

& thanx so much for the tips, sweetmango. Bet should have save quite a lot if we're DIY our own decorations. Have not yet settle on those photography session. Had heard a friend mentioning that she got hers done @ France @ $1+K & the effect was really lovely. But to think flying there, got to pare down our wallets in the meantime. Every cents count.

Somehow, i've kinda regretted my decision. Should have do those solemnization thingy @ a rented place & have our hi-tea. So romantic.....

Will try those urls in the meantime.....

Stay cool & take care

Cozy Celeb Array

& thanx so much for the tips, sweetmango. Bet should have save quite a lot if we're DIY our own decorations. Have not yet settle on those photography session. Had heard a friend mentioning that she got hers done @ France @ $1+K & the effect was really lovely. But to think flying there, got to pare down our wallets in the meantime. Every cents count.

wow such low price photography? including gowns and what nots?

Eve

Originally posted by baobei

wow such low price photography? including gowns and what nots?
    Yeap, including gowns & all, quality was nicely done but the quantity was *** too few, ***. Overall, excellent for those on the budget.

Cozy Star Array

Zicon Wedding Banquet

For those who had your wedding banquet, share with us when/where you had yours.

For those who are in the midst of preparation, where are you going to held the event? Settings?

Come and share with us your experiences and information here.

Cozy Star Array

Mine was last September. Marina Mandarin Grand Ballroom. Had very good experience with their service staff there. I believe my guests had their share of fun too, cos I heard that some of my friends who are planning their weddings actually asked the banquet manager for price list of their banquet packages after the dinner!

Cozy Star Array

What are the price range like? Tell us more.

Cozy Star Array

Erhm, I think they update their prices every year. I think the 2003 price is $789 nett for weekend and $659 nett for weekdays. That seems like a $50 increment compaired to last year.... if I remembered correctly This grand ball room can take in max of 64 tables. But I feel that anything above 48 will be too cramped.

As for the deco, I chose the gold theme, with candle stands at the doorway. Pink and white roses with gaberras as the flower deco. Chose a pair of vases for the ice-carvings and had fresh flowers (roses and gaberras) in them.......

Instead of a normal stand for the photo album, I chose to have a photo gallery. I asked my coordinator for a glass table, framed some of my wedding photos and displayed them

Oh, just decided to add in that I was in the year whereby we can have a real wedding cake for the cake-cutting instead of those giant dummy cakes A three tier squarish sugi cake
    Last edited by Vonn; 20-08-2003 at 05:14 PM.

Cozy Rookie Array

Not me but my sister's wedding was held at Grand Copthorne near Zouk. My sister and bro-in-law had a wonderful wedding dinner there. The service was very good and my sister commented how she love the ballroom there. Spacious and nicely decorated just like what she wants and expected. The colour she chose for the decor for the ballroom was white and gold to match her gowns.

The food-tasting dinner that we went was held in a private function room which was excellent too. We also felt that the food was very good too compared to the dinner i went at Shangri La some time ago. :roll:

Cozy Rookie Array

Chocolate, pretty pretty, thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 73 1231121 ... LastLast