email signup
Join CozyCot to get the insider's edge
Like us on facebook
Follow us on twitter
Follow us on instagram
Follow us on pinterest
Follow Us on Pinterest
    Cozy Star Array princesshaseena's Avatar

Default Getting married to a foreigner in Singapore...

I did not know where else to ask this but i'm very curious to know how to get citizenship for a foreigner. Is it possible for my future spouse to get citizenship if he marries me? It will be even better if he could get the citizenship before our marriage. Anyone know anything about this, please help me clear my doubts. I'm desperate for answers. Thanks soooo much for your answers/help.
    PS: I'm a born Singaporean, while he is an Indian citizen from New Delhi.

princesshaseena, you can find out more info from s'pore imigration. i think it's not possible for him to get citizenship before he marries you, but PR is most likely. cos i'm a foreigner myself and i had ask around on these, and what i know is a foreigner must marry a local, work and earn a certain amount of income and stay in s'pore for a few years then can gain citizenship. guess it's easier for me cos my bf is a local, once i get married to him and have kids here i can get my citizenship. but my husband is required to have a certain amount of income too to make sure he's able to support me. what the goverment is trying to imply to foreigners is if you want to stay in s'pore you must make sure you have a job or someone to support you and not be burden to them.
    hope it helps

honeylicious thanks soooooo much!!! I can never imagine migrating to india, i will die. I wanna be with my family too! I think im asking for too much hehe
    Last edited by princesshaseena; 24-01-2007 at 02:07 PM.

haha, i totally understand what you mean.. live is much more comfy and secure here. i can't imagine living in indonesia(where i come from) too..

Cozy Rookie Array

princesshaseena, india is not that bad a country ;-) yes singapore is nice and secure, but india too has so many great things that singapore doesn't have... and u wont die, there are a billion people alive there.. all breathing happily :D

and when you say you would miss your family, how about ever giving a thought to his family missing him? remember, guys are supposed to, and generally do take care of parents in old age, in fact they mostly stay together...

anyway, knowing singapore laws, citezenship for him won't be a problem eventually. it used to be differnt a few years ago when wives of singaporeans could get citezenship, but not foreign husbands of local wives. but now government has made the laws same for husband and wife.

Cozy Star Array

it's easier for him to come here, find a job. he should be able to become a PR easily.

Yes, of course India is not a bad country. I would never think so, coz my father is also an Indian (he was born there) I think u got me wrong. I said i can never imagine migrating there because firstly, i can't get used to the food there. Yes of course a billion ppl are living there, but they were born and bred there. I was born in Singapore, so it makes a difference. I recently went to India, and forgive me if i sound offensive, but certain things there did not appeal to me. I am in no way condemning India. So please do not speak in such a way that i see India as a bad country. Whatever it is, my father and his family were from there, so i would always have an attachment to it, but i can not live there due to personal reasons.

I'm not sure how u took my sentence but of course i know he would miss his family. I am not evil, of course we will constantly go down to meet his parents. He has agreed to come here.

btw thank u very much for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by salarySlip View Post
    princesshaseena, india is not that bad a country ;-) yes singapore is nice and secure, but india too has so many great things that singapore doesn't have... and u wont die, there are a billion people alive there.. all breathing happily :D

and when you say you would miss your family, how about ever giving a thought to his family missing him? remember, guys are supposed to, and generally do take care of parents in old age, in fact they mostly stay together...

anyway, knowing singapore laws, citezenship for him won't be a problem eventually. it used to be differnt a few years ago when wives of singaporeans could get citezenship, but not foreign husbands of local wives. but now government has made the laws same for husband and wife.
    Last edited by princesshaseena; 29-01-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Cozy Star Array

princesshaseena, i think as long as your SO works here, he'll qualify for PR. If the govt thinks he's a "worthwhile" investment, what they'll do is to send him an invitation to apply for the citizenship...

My SO just had to work for 3 mths and he managed to get the PR-ship and chose not to get the citizenship. Guess they still allow the foreigner to choose since Singapore doesn't allow dual natioanlity...

Cozy Rookie Array

I think if ur hubby has a stable job here, he can apply for PR. But if he's not, while u have a stable job, you can help him apply for one.

I understand briefly from my colleague previously that because her hubby does not have a stable job (he's a missionary in a church and gives tuition <---- think not considered stable by govt *not sure*), she has to apply social visit pass for her hubby every month. It's only recently when she has a more stable job in our company, the social visit pass is extended to half a year and she wants to help him apply for PR soon. Understand that the immigration can don't grant the social visit pass de, and she gets very stressed everytime it comes to renewal.

Cozy Rookie Array watermelonpoo's Avatar

princesshaseena: i dont think your future hubby can get citizenship rightaway or are entitled to a sg citizenship once he is married to you. he must apply for Permanent Resident first then stay in sg for a few years (plus a few other criterias) and apply for sg citizenship. he can either apply through you as his sponsor or through his profession in sg (if he found a job in sg) to apply for PR. and if he found a job in sg there are many kinds of employment pass(ep) and some ep does not qualify for PR application. =)

its better for you to read up at the ICA website. it has much more details. =)

Princesshaseena, was wondering if your future husband has been working here on employment pass or did he previously study here? Like you, my cousin got married to a native from New Delhi. Previously, he was studying and subsequently worked here, so he was granted PR before their marriage. As to converting to citizenship, I am not too sure about the procedure, but it would mean that he has to give up his citizenship in India first. Is he willing to?

ST, will you be having your wedding ceremony here in Singapore and in India as well? I had attended my cousin's wedding in India and it was really interesting and definitely different from what I have attended in Singapore...

I have a question: has anyone got a spouse visa after getting married to a non-singaporean?