Join CozyCot to get the insider's edge
Like us on facebook
Follow us on twitter
Follow us on instagram
Follow us on pinterest
Follow Us on Pinterest
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 818262728293038 ... LastLast
    Cozy Rookie Array

rainzy: I was at Hokkaido during CNY this year. Think the french potato is potato strips (think french fries) deep fried. I didn't manage to get it 'coz it's limited but tasted some, courtesy of a tour group member.

Some other good to get stuffs from Hokkaido: dried seafood (like scallops that are vacuum-packed per piece as titbits), wasabi preserved konbu, hello kitty items (limited to hokkaido ones), this brand of peppermint oil products (made in hokkaido), CHEESECAKE (to buy on your last day - but not sure where you'll be), shiroi no koibito chocolate biscuits (the famous one). If you have time at Narita airport, do get the tokyo banana from the shops too!

There is another unique item called marimo moss balls. there is a romantic love story behind these moss balls, originating from lake akan in hokkaido. so you can buy these in the form of keychains/hp straps for souvenirs..

for the cheese cake, will i be able to get it from Narita airport? And for the marimo moss balls, where can i get them/ Thks..
    Last edited by twinstar7579; 24-03-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Oooh, the french potatoes are REALLY nice l o r. My mum bought 2 packs last December and *poof!* they went into our tummies within 2 days

And she also said it was REALLY limited in Hokkaido.

The other nice thing she brought back was this corn rice crisp wrapped in white chocolate!

Cozy Rookie Array

hmmm sounds like there's alot of nice food to get in Hokkaido..
    Ok I'll keep a lookout to the french potato. Anyone has got a picture of it?

Heading to Hokkaido this coming fri. So excited. :D

i'm going in december.. it will be during winter is it? pardon me, i have never been to cold countries and this is my first.. any suggestions in what to bring? and i thought of buying boots to wear, should i buy it there or just get it in some spree from taiwan????

Cozy Rookie Array

definitely winter. february's a better time to go though. the yukimatsuri is really great.

things are a lot cheaper in hokkaido than the major cities, plus they do have a wider and greater selection of boots so i'd say get them in japan.

Cozy Rookie Array

any agencies to recommend? i m planning to go in july during summer so it's nt that cold for me about 15 degrees

Cozy SuperStar Array blurblur25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blurblur25 View Post
    Our japan tour guide also ask us to buy potato farm back, i bought 6 boxes back, everyone say is yummy. Some of my tour group member bought a carton back home.

Here the picture:

Are your refering to these? The brand is called potato farms. You can get it at Hokkaido airport. There 10 packets in 1 box

valmia: i dont think their summer is 15 degree, when I was there last year in Aug, it was real hot. only in the evening is much cooler

Cozy Rookie Array

it depends where in hokkaido u are..it's a huge place. if you go all the way up to asahikawa it never gets very hot even in summer

Cozy MegaStar Array chocohazonut's Avatar

will be headed there first week of May. should i wear boots or is it ok to just wear sneakers?

any idea how cold it will be then? heard that these few weeks there is sudden weather change in tokyo and osaka, so there is a chance that hokkaido will be rather cold too.

Cozy Rookie Array

Quote Originally Posted by chocohazonut View Post
    will be headed there first week of May. should i wear boots or is it ok to just wear sneakers?

any idea how cold it will be then? heard that these few weeks there is sudden weather change in tokyo and osaka, so there is a chance that hokkaido will be rather cold too.
    boots are more of a fashion statement than a necessity, imo. i like to wear them so i'd wear them..haha
    which part of hokkaido are you going to? in may sapporo definitely isn't going to be cold

Cozy Rookie Array

yes!! please get the tokyo banana cake!!! super delicious!!! i miss it. reeally wanna fly to japan and get it. preferable to wear boots with abit of heels.

Cozy MegaStar Array chocohazonut's Avatar

ya one of the places is sapporo.. thinking of wearing boots bcos it covers all the way to the shin so can protect from cold?

Cozy Rookie Array

Hi everyone

I planning to visit South Hokkaido on May 3! :D
    It will be a 6 day 5 night trip. I plan to drive on for 2 days of the trip

Anyone drove before can give some tips ? i also need to know where are the most scenic roads to drive

Heres my tentative itinerary

Day 1
    • Hakkodate @ 2.30pm
    • Can we make it in time for brunch at the morning market?
    • Go to goryokaku tower and soak in the atmosphere of the old style euro architecture.
    • Check into hotel (not confirmed yet)
    • Find a nice place to enjoy the night scene of Hakkodate

Day 2 (my birthday!)
    • Rent car from Hakodate
    • Visit Mt Hakodate and drive to Noboribetseu
    • enjoy onsen
    • stay for one night to prepare to go Sapporo

Day 3.
    • Drive to Lake Toya - Bear Ranch feed brown bears and see them playing and living together
    • Return car at Sapporo
    • Sapporo highlight to cherry blossoms viewing spots.

Day 4
    Day trip to Otaru not sure what there

Day 5
    • Spend day in Sapporo, hopefully cherry blossom are still there.
    • Reira Factory Oulet shopping spree
    • White Chocolate Factory for photo-stop

Day 6
    Leaving Sapporo in the evening time.

Cozy Rookie Array

Quote Originally Posted by twinstar7579 View Post
    for the cheese cake, will i be able to get it from Narita airport? And for the marimo moss balls, where can i get them/ Thks..
    I got mine from a souvenior sho pin Furano. You could also get them from certain fish shops in Singapore.

Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 818262728293038 ... LastLast