Like us on facebook
Follow us on twitter
Follow us on instagram
Follow us on pinterest
Follow Us on Pinterest
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charmainelooi View Post
    else go for preowned ones
    I've a big fan of pre-owned bags! why pay the full retail price when you can pretty much get one in near perfect condition at 1/2 the price? Also think of its resale value... chances are it will be close to less 50% of its original value.

Cozy Rookie Array

*** is the purpose of this thread?

Nothing wrong with this thread as I find myself in the same predicament sometimes. I just had my wedding recently and prior before that, my wedding costs were sprialling out of control. I was one of those who used to say "no way am I paying that much for flowers or for this and that"

But when it came to my own wedding, I turned into Bridezila and it was a totally different story. I started questioning myself whenever I hit a budget problem and wondered should I be paying for this when the economy is so poor? Do I really need such an expensive ring? etc etc.

What I usually do is, accept what I can live with and what I cannot live without. I can live without the 2-times-a-month fine dining, so I went cold turkey on that so as to save the funds for my wedding.

See if you can forgo stuff like taxis, clubbing, clothes etc to pay for that Chanel bag if you really want it badly enough.

Cozy Celeb Array

I think it is all about priorities in life.

In my case, I only had my first branded bag (and it was a sales Furla, considered mid-range only, I think) when I hit 26. But like I said, my priorities lie elsewhere, because I have my own place at 26!

Likewise, I have friends who decided to forgo cabbing, clubbing and even lunching to get their first LV bag while still at university.

We all need different things to be happy. It might or might not be a Chanel bag for you, that's how I feel.

well, i bought my first chanel a couple of months ago & im 23 this yr, only working for slightly over a yr. the bag costs more than my monthly salary too. like what another cotter has mentioned, it depends on ur current responsibilities/ liabilities. i'm fortunate i've none of them so i can spend on whatever i want. however, i dont believe in buying on credit. i always pay in full. ive bought a couple of other designer bags as well which i have also paid in full.

i guess ultimately it depends on how comfortable you are financially & ur salary is not a sole indicator. to me, if i can afford it w/o forgoing on other stuff, y not? however, i do have to add that it was partly peer pressure that made me get my first chanel (on top of chanel's constant increasing prices). if i can buy it now, y pay more & buy it later? just so that my salary will be more equivalent numerically? haha. in fact, shortly after i got mine, the price increased again, lol.

now that i have gotten my bag, i wonder sometimes why the hell did i get it? lol! i do feel abit shy to bring it to work as i have just started working only. i find it kinda too flashy so i rather carry my less flashy bags. haha. anw the bag kinda killed my lemming for other designer bags. i dont know why either. maybe i subconsciously feel foolish for subcumming to peer pressure? haha

i must agree though that a good bag makeths an outfit. some may disagree & say that its superficial, but its ok. to each his own

anyway to summarise, there is no specific age / income grp to qualify for a chanel bag. u have to see how comfortable u are at the end of the day. both financially & mentally, haha

i agree with the majority of cotters who shared their views here..

I owned my 1st Chanel late last year which was a reward for myself after safely delivering my little girl, but me too contemplated for nearly half a year on whether or not to get the Chanel as its definately more expensive then the other brands even when I definately have the capabilities to afford it without any instalment plans of any sort and i have another 10-20 bags of other brands..

Its the financial aspect which i think you have to think about rather then focusing on the lemmings of a Chanel which is desired by almost all women.. Say would you rather spend moderately for 6 months on your daily life or scrimp and save (tighten your stomach) for the same period of time to save for the Chanel?

Ultimately, the decision is yours to take.. Just remember that there's no age limit / no status gain or lost for a designer bag.. HTHs!!

Cozy Rookie Array charmainelooi's Avatar

Gogogurl, you can always rent or get 2nd hand ones

Quote Originally Posted by stanstar View Post
    she's probably a young girl needing assurance of her choice ..no harm sharing views

gogogurl: if it makes you happy to own one, go ahead as long as you feel comfortable , financially. there is no benchmark because one who earns 10K a month may have 9 K of bills/instalment/etc to pay and one who earn 3.5 K a month may have zero liabilities. so, hard to give a definite answer to your question. you know your financial status the best to judge.
    I don't think anyone should be buying anything that requires them to either have to scrimp for it, or pay in installments. when you're spending on things like bags or clothes or shoes (we are not talking about things like car or house for which most people buy on loan), it should be done very comfortably, with a very very wide margin. In other words, you should be able to pay for it in full and have so much money left over, if you wanted to you could have gotten 10 more pieces.

if you need to scrimp and save just to own these non essentials which also happen to have zero resale value (unlike a property), how are you ever going to buy a property and own things which true adults should own?

When a lot of ladies reach the bracket where they can comfortably buy branded goods, some like me no longer feel the urgency or desire to own them.

If you need to scrimp like a mouse or employ various tricks to obtain or even feel so much confusion and agony that you need to post in a forum to solicit for assurance on how to best get into debt to own a branded product, I think you are way off the base of judgment.

And where are you studying? Please don't assume you can get $3.5k because that is most definitely not the average salary of local grads.
    Last edited by tiffanymiffy; 29-04-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Cozy Rookie Array

i dont think there is any age limit to chanel. Buy yourself one, if you have the means and the style to. Everyone derserves a little pampering every now and then. Like what most cotters say, you need to know your piorities and not kill/rob to get ur bag.

For myself, i try to pay only when there is a sale, or mostly online. For the exact same item, you usually get about 10-20% savings. It also helps to know that you 'saved'.

Cozy Rookie Array

Default Chanel

i had branded bags from 18 yrs old but i dun feel any special. in fact i feel stress caring for them ***! lol. after that i just sold all of them to pay for school....more worth for me at the point of time. coz degree will bring me more money to buy more later on! =p If you r young n you wanna buy chanels etc, you earn your own $ thru the right ways n manage your finance.....

if you're making lots of money and Chanel bags are like a drop in the ocean, then by all means go ahead. there are no qualifications to buy anything. the only qualification is money. no money means no buy. its not difficult to understand.

i see some of my friends saving up for months or blowing away 3 month salaries just to buy a Chanel. is it worth it or not? u may be getting the oohs and ahhs from those around u but financially you're suffering.

i'm in my 30s now and i've never owned a Chanel. don't think i ever will or pester my hubby to buy one. its not that we can't afford it, its just that i don't see the point. a bag is just to carry things. a Chanel serves the same purpose as a $10 canvas bag from pasar malam. its to carry things.

snowminyi, I think a lot of young people these days don't think that way... My sister had a colleague (she's now in her mid-twenties) who blasted 3 months' pay on a Chanel (on a related note, her ex-classmate took a bank loan to go on her honeymoon to Taiwan?!!).

Either that, a number of these people live on credit or live off their parents. There's so much mention about them in these couple of weeks' news!

Quote Originally Posted by morninghugs View Post
    snowminyi, I think a lot of young people these days don't think that way... My sister had a colleague (she's now in her mid-twenties) who blasted 3 months' pay on a Chanel (on a related note, her ex-classmate took a bank loan to go on her honeymoon to Taiwan?!!).

Either that, a number of these people live on credit or live off their parents. There's so much mention about them in these couple of weeks' news!
    morninghugs! sentiments exactly...what you said is so true.

do u get this feeling that if u got yourself a really expensive bag, then u have to carry that bag everyday and every single day for every occasion night and day. because if u carry a lesser bag, u will feel less of a human being so those who saved for months for a Chanel, you're sort of stuck with that bag. but if u can drop the whole Chanel idea and settle for a Coach or even a Burberry, u can get a new one every month.

I've got a friend...she splurge on expensive bags every month...but each time when we go out together, she either don't bring money out or "forget" to bring wallet out. She expects me to pay first then act blur about repaying me back.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast