Join CozyCot to get the insider's edge
Like us on facebook
Follow us on twitter
Follow us on instagram
Follow us on pinterest
Follow Us on Pinterest
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Cozy Rookie Array

actually yr parents pretty right if they want you to invest in property... i think its like teaching u how to earn money first. do yr finance properly.

read abt meowcsj and she is one good eg. she earns lots of $ so she can afford to buy or splurge on those branded items. and the most important thing is, she is able to clear her bills on time. credit card is just for points which is a bonus to get extra things n perks.

most important thing is do within yr means. not only peer pressure but dont be affected by internet pressure seeing the girls show case the luxury items make yr heart itchy.

well you have one chanel item already! so take things one step at a time. wait till u have a stable income and savings then buy yr first chanel bag with yr own savings. meanwhile, its free to view those pics posted by the girls.....

actually, i find yr uncomfortable with buying chanel bag a plus point because it will kind of help you from jumping in to buy many bags later on (hopefully) hehe.

whatever your reason is, as long as you like the bag and would like to get it, go for it. your pay may be less than that of a jumbo, you can always save for it. the end result, you will feel proud of yourself paying the bag yourself with your hard earned money and will treasure the bag even more. i did that when i 1st step into the society to work. jia you!

自足常乐

I so totally agree with what you said. 'why a chanel?' How much do u know abt the brand? how much do u like the design? How long can you foresee yourself carrying the bag before taking fancy to another design?

Or is the BRAND dictating your interest level?

I think that's the problem with many of us these days. That's why we see Coach becoming like fleas, and LV/ Guccis being a close second. Do you want the bag simply because it is a Chanel? and it seems that a Chanel can complete u as a person?

The brand don't own u. neither does the bag. It doesn't make u any classier/ of a higher status quo when u carry a bag worth thousands of dollars. what good does it make when u have to blow an entire month of two of ur salary on something just to satisfy your 'branded bag' complex?

Importantly, work within your means. Ultimately, do it within a comfort zone. I'm a huge fan of bags (branded ones included) myself, but i buy them within my comfort zone.I can afford a Chanel 2.55 jumbo at this point of time.. but.. what defines affordability?

-when i can pay for it with a month of two of my take home salary?
    -when i scrimp and save in order to purchase it?
    -when i can churn out an instalment plan (of any sorts) so i dont feel so guilty abt paying such a huge sum at one go?
    -when i can splurge my bonus on it?
    -when i can max out my credit card limit on it and then get hit by the guilt pang for the next two months? worrying how to pay for it?
    -when i wanna buy it cuz i feel so much better with it. nevermind what my bank statement says.

or

-when i can pay for it in full and not worry abt settling the bill later cuz i earn more than what the bag is worth
    -when i can pay for it in full in cash
    -when i only buy one bag a year and i take home say.. 50k a year?

Think abt it

Quote Originally Posted by blingg View Post
    actually yr parents pretty right if they want you to invest in property... i think its like teaching u how to earn money first. do yr finance properly.

read abt meowcsj and she is one good eg. she earns lots of $ so she can afford to buy or splurge on those branded items. and the most important thing is, she is able to clear her bills on time. credit card is just for points which is a bonus to get extra things n perks.

most important thing is do within yr means. not only peer pressure but dont be affected by internet pressure seeing the girls show case the luxury items make yr heart itchy.

well you have one chanel item already! so take things one step at a time. wait till u have a stable income and savings then buy yr first chanel bag with yr own savings. meanwhile, its free to view those pics posted by the girls.....

actually, i find yr uncomfortable with buying chanel bag a plus point because it will kind of help you from jumping in to buy many bags later on (hopefully) hehe.

Cozy Rookie Array

^^

If you need to worry about financing a purchase, then perhaps it might signal that you are not "ready" for it as of now. Same for your future expenditures, be it a new car or your own place - you may really really really like it, but if just thinking about how you are going to keep up with payments is enough of a headache then maybe it's not meant to be yours at that point in time.

On the other hand, Chanel prices can increase quite ridiculously within a short span in time, so it would definitely cost less now than say 5 years later.

I'm not really helping things out, am I?

I also dun think there should be an age limit of a certain income to justify buying a Chanel.
    As long as u can afford it and u have enough savings for a rainy day then by all means go ahead n get ur dream bag!

I love my bags but recently I realise that it doesnt define who I am or what kind of person I am inside.
    So I think twice abt buying them now, - dont seem to be attracted to it as much as before.

After awhile u will get jaded! Like, there are so many bags out in the market.. cannot 'finish' buying one la. Just get *** u like (eg. classic 2.55 or birkin) then slowly stop. (hehee.)

Cozy Rookie Array

Same sentiments with most cotters here.
    My personal take is:
    Don't buy for the sake of buying...don't buy because you think it gives you higher social status, don't buy because you want to flaunt your wealth.
    Buy because it sets your heart aflutter!! And do it within your means.

Of cuz, having said that..it really is your money and nobody can dictate how you should spend it.

Cozy Rookie Array deathcabforcutie's Avatar

You don't need an age limit or income group to qualify for any luxury bag. You just need cash. Who cares what others think? As long as you are loaded, go buy that bag you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by gogogurl View Post
    I am still studying at the moment. My first Chanel is a gift from parents. I am wondering, upon graduation, if my salary is about SGD 3.5K per month, is it reasonable for me to get a Chanel bag ? A Chanel Jumbo in Singapore costs more than 4K. It seems so unaffordable now.... spending more than 1 month salary on a bag. I am depressed after doing the calculation
    Actually it is not impossible to own a high end branded bag when you start working. You need to plan your finances properly with the salary you will be drawing, then set aside a sum of money to get that dream bag. It may be that you will have to save up a few months or even wait for your bonus at the end of the year to get hold of that bag. But I guess it will all be worth the wait. If you can handle your finance well and stick to paying up timely, it is not really all bad to pay by instalments IMO.

Anyway for Chanel Classics, they will never go out of style. But if it is a seasonal item, then again you will have to ask yourself once the season is over, will you still use the bag and thus worth investing?

It is also whether are you ready to own a Chanel. To own more than 1 Chanel just to "keep up with the Joneses" is never a good idea. What about your lifestyle? Do you foresee yourself using the Chanels or they will just be sitting there collecting dust in the closet?

Hope I make sense here

I really do not understand the purpose of this thread.

If you have the money and the ability to buy one, then get it. Is there really such a thing as needing a "qualification" to get a bag? And it's just a bag. When I first saw the title of this thread, the idea of Chanel issuing letters "you are qualified to buy from us, others (the lesser ones!?) don't, congratulations!" came to my mind.

Why get yourself all depressed thinking about splurging on a bag, then don't get it. If there is one person who got a Chanel for the sake of getting one and having to thrift on other stuff, being all depressed and stuff, it does not make me envy her at all.

If you can afford the bag,and you really want it,even if you have to save,i'd get it.

Cozy Rookie Array

Quote Originally Posted by xiaomantou View Post
    I really do not understand the purpose of this thread.

If you have the money and the ability to buy one, then get it. Is there really such a thing as needing a "qualification" to get a bag? And it's just a bag. When I first saw the title of this thread, the idea of Chanel issuing letters "you are qualified to buy from us, others (the lesser ones!?) don't, congratulations!" came to my mind.

Why get yourself all depressed thinking about splurging on a bag, then don't get it. If there is one person who got a Chanel for the sake of getting one and having to thrift on other stuff, being all depressed and stuff, it does not make me envy her at all.
    she's probably a young girl needing assurance of her choice ..no harm sharing views

gogogurl: if it makes you happy to own one, go ahead as long as you feel comfortable , financially. there is no benchmark because one who earns 10K a month may have 9 K of bills/instalment/etc to pay and one who earn 3.5 K a month may have zero liabilities. so, hard to give a definite answer to your question. you know your financial status the best to judge.

lxy

I got a LV bag and i'm below 20s, all my friends were saying that my bag is a replica!! damn angry!! why?? below 20s cannot own branded?

Cozy Rookie Array charmainelooi's Avatar

else go for preowned ones

i dont think there should be any limitation liking or wanting to own a designer item, etc. i believe as long one knows how to appreciate designer's work, is worth to own its item.

also, supporting the designer and not buying imitations.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast