Join CozyCot to get the insider's edge
Like us on facebook
Follow us on twitter
Follow us on instagram
Follow us on pinterest
Follow Us on Pinterest
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hey girls,
    i bought from carat cc before. Stone looks sparkly the first time it comes..then the band that came along look damn pathetic. I had to bring to a jeweler and reset. The min the jeweler look at it he knew its a man made,cos of the way the carbon formed or something he said. And wearing it daily...it doesnt sparkle u know. No matter how i clean it. Putting dishwashing liquid and warm water, brushing lightly w toothbrush. Doesnt restore the shine. I dont know whats wrong.
    I still think, diamonds are diamonds. Dont spend few hundreds on this simulated stones, not worth it. a few of them gets u a nice real one from maybe Citigems?
    My 2 cents worth.

Cozy Rookie Array

Default GordonMax

Went to Tangs yesterday and saw the GM counter (my first time!) , thought their 'diamonds' were pretty nice. They were having a sale, for a 1 carat ring it's now $287 from $359. Thought I better goggle for more info. Came upon this thread- boy... was I glad. thanks for all the info

Now I'm not so sure abt buying it anymore. Sigh..... Advice anyone? Their 'royal ice' cut was really sparkling and nice.

wormsRstrange: wait one more week? maybe you will get over it. if you still like it after a week then maybe you should buy. anyway you can't get a 1 carat real diamond with $300. but also don't get it on impulse.

Cozy Rookie Array

Samochi: Guess what I've gotten over it Thanks for advice !

Cozy Rookie Array

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Its at Novena MRT station. I bought from 18Karaats before. Their simulated diamonds are not bad, very much like the real thing, but of course, they are faux.
    Considering they are not real diamonds, they are relatively expensive, a bit over-priced. But if compare to real diamonds, of course they are far far cheaper.
    I would recommend their diamond simulants over gordon max or diamondlite.
    any pictures to share share???? TIA!

Cozy Rookie Array

from what i've read, gordonmax are actually cz... or rather, high end hardened Swarovski Crystal... a jewellery has actually ran test on them before and found that there is no carbon in the gems at all... anyone have any idea?

Cozy Celeb Array

actually you can tell even with naked eye and they are not cheap. they look real in the shop but once you take them out, they look fake without the sparkles

Cozy Rookie Array

That's what I thought! Must be the lightings in the store.

Cozy Rookie Array

Actually cubic zirconia has nearly the same refractive index as diamond so if cut correctly, should produce the same brilliance. I think most producers of CZ diamonds will not go to the same extent to cut them as would diamond producers.
    But that's purely optics, whether it turns cloudy is another issue.

On the plus side, because it's man made, it can be nearly flawless and colourless.

Moissanite on the other hand is a naturally occuring mineral. Not to be confused with synthesized moissanite. Has similar properties to diamond such as hardness and clarity. Slightly higher refractive index makes it more brilliant than diamond. Again how stable it is, i don't know

Lastly, there is also Synthesize Diamond, exact replicas of diamond grown in labs that can reproduce the same pressure and heat that carbon undergoes to produce diamond. However due to strong opposition from the diamond industry, i think it will be hard to get your hands on these.. just for your info

At the end of the day, it's still a case of "if it's too good to be true, it probably is"
    Last edited by minnie.c; 23-04-2009 at 07:15 PM.

great info there! minie.c
    every girl loves a diamond i think stimulants are great alternatives, to spend on smth more worthy and substantial. anyway true happiness cannot be bought. how long can a real diamond keep us happy. many friends put away their engagement rings with huge rocks after they got married, with a price tag that can put them on another honeymoon. not saying i will do without one, but i think it's a good to have for me being an average joe(is there a female term for this? haha).

Cozy Rookie Array

Default Better recommendation of diamond simulants

Quote Originally Posted by lun View Post
    how much is that?

hmm...and where is square 2?
    I've bought a ring from 18Karaats but it dosen't sparkle much after a while. Quite disappointing. Recently, I bought a ring from Sparks & Sparkles, located at ILUMA (opp. bugis junction). It's a pretty young company but the quality of their CZ is fantastic! It's definitely comparable to diamonds in terms of clarity and cut. Currently I placed a special order with them for a princess cut sapphire ring. GORGEOUS! According to them, they bring in limited qty for each of the pieces thus I'll have to wait for the time being...

I strongly recommend ladies to check it out!

Cozy Rookie Array

Hi Jasweet, how much does their range cost for sparkles and sparkles? Is it cheaper than 18karaats? TIA!

Cozy Rookie Array

Hi Snow white, sorry for the late reply. I hope you have received my personal message! =)
    Sparks & Sparkles is definitely cheaper than 18 Karaats but of a much higher quality and variety. It is comparable to diamonds but w/o the price tag. It costs around $100-$200. No worries. It wouldn't hurt your wallet! =)
    You can go down to have a look at Iluma when you're free. Then you'll know what I'm talking about! =) Feel free to ask me any qns when you've doubts. I'm quite into simulants nowadays so maybe we can share with each other! =)

Loves,
    Jasweet

Cozy Rookie Array

Hey gals,

On GM
    Like to add my comment on the topic. I have brought a 0.65cts Birorsa fancy cut which I set in to a ring and a 0.75cts plyma 58 facets which i set it to a pendant. from GM before and set them into 18k setting. After wearing them for a while the Birorsa does not sparkle at all no matter how hard I clean it, using their cleaning solution called: Brilliance Restorer which cost $29 for a small bottle. I have tried to send it back for servicing and it's still the same. Besides if you don't use their recommended jeweller to set the stone they said they are not responsible for it. The simple V setting they are charging for a 0.85 white gold is around $400 to $500. I took it to another diamond wholesaler for only $250. GM claims that my dia might have been swop by the jeweller. Their stand is that as long as we don't set their recommended jeweller they can't guarantee it... Wonder why would a diamond wholeseller wants my stimulated dia for?? So far the 0.75cts still looks good also I suppose it doesn't comes in contact with soap and lotion as much as my ring. My gut feel is if you want to get it from them. get the one without the fancy cut which is the plyma. It's simple and elegant, after sometime looking at the fancy cut +65 facets birorsa is really looks fake....

Aurora
    I have also brought from Aurora, another stimulated diamond. They actually set it a sterling sliver with 1% of platinum which make it more lasting then 18k jewellery They diamonds are rather nice and not too pricing. It's around $150+- for a simple 1cts setting, depending on design. They are currently having GSS promotion. For members you get a 20+10% discount. U just have to make ur first purchase to become a life time member. They have a few outlets, one in Holland V shopping Mall 3rd floor, 1 In shaw House 4th floor, 1 in the new Ginza Plaza, 1 at thompson Plaza just on the 1st floor too. I like their after service, they do remember ur birthdays and anniversary. The one I frequent most is the one at HV, the sA Justina is friendly and nice. i have only been there once and she remembers me by my name.

Diamondlite
    I just brought a 0.50cts from diamondlite as well. They are having 25% discount for GSS. The lady told me it's a material called Palladium Sliver which is more resilience to tarnishing. As usual, u are to be careful for perfume too. It's looks really big for a 0.50cts! I tried to compare it to my humble natural diamond of 0.38cts it definitely looks more the 0.12cts bigger. Was wondering if the SA make a mistake. I tried to place it next to my GM ring it looks more like a 0.75cts to me. It's a tiffany setting and it's really beautiful. And it cost me only $90 after discount. Hope the sparkle will last! They do have diamonds set in 9k and 18k too, but of course it's more ex. My feel is if it's fake I dont want to spend extras on the setting like the GM that I brought. I believe it will lose it's sparkle as a matter of time. If it last, I my consider to reset in 18k . Go and take a look!

HeartstoHearts
    I brought 2 pairs of earring from them before, honestly they looks really cheapo. All they are all plated with 18k only. They designer's cut Petal looks so weird. It looks like some funny stuff in the center. The norm ones doesn't sparkle at all, besides their SA all not very helpful when u don't buy it...

18 Karrats
    I have seen their diamonds too and feel that it's over price. As they do a lot of replica design from T&C. It;s the typical thicker band setting with 6 claws. For me, I think if i wear a 1.00 cts diamond ppl will think it fake even if it's real... Haha. Also not to attract unnecessary attention and being question by friends on how much is it? What are the specs and how much you spend etc etc and embarrass yourself... haha u know what i meant right? I once have a ridiculous friend that took off her ring and place it next to mine and tell me hers is nicer than mine... almost killed her and she was my subordinate then!

I loved diamonds. I have quite a few natural ones, but humble ones. I really wouldn't think it's wise to spend a few k on a small diamonds. Everyone is wearing one, u can't tell unless you brought from the accessory shop.

Enjoy shopping gals!

Cozy Rookie Array

Hi, debbieflower,

Thanks for all the info.

I was thinking buying one of those pink diamond simulants from betterthandiamond
    but not sure if I can find a good local jewelery setter to set it to a pendant
    cuz the setter I used to know isn't working in S'pore anymore.
    Do you mind letting me know which diamond wholesaler you went to?
    TIA!!

Quote Originally Posted by debbieflower View Post
    Hey gals,

On GM
    Like to add my comment on the topic. I have brought a 0.65cts Birorsa fancy cut which I set in to a ring and a 0.75cts plyma 58 facets which i set it to a pendant. from GM before and set them into 18k setting. After wearing them for a while the Birorsa does not sparkle at all no matter how hard I clean it, using their cleaning solution called: Brilliance Restorer which cost $29 for a small bottle. I have tried to send it back for servicing and it's still the same. Besides if you don't use their recommended jeweller to set the stone they said they are not responsible for it. The simple V setting they are charging for a 0.85 white gold is around $400 to $500. I took it to another diamond wholesaler for only $250. GM claims that my dia might have been swop by the jeweller. Their stand is that as long as we don't set their recommended jeweller they can't guarantee it... Wonder why would a diamond wholeseller wants my stimulated dia for?? So far the 0.75cts still looks good also I suppose it doesn't comes in contact with soap and lotion as much as my ring. My gut feel is if you want to get it from them. get the one without the fancy cut which is the plyma. It's simple and elegant, after sometime looking at the fancy cut +65 facets birorsa is really looks fake....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast