Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wedding dinner - What & How Much to Give?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding dinner - What & How Much to Give?

Hihi dear cotters!

Need help here! Urgent!

What gifts should I get for my galfren's wedding? It's just one week away!... :huh:

Please suggest what may be appropriate to give her as her wedding pressie? She's malay. can give ang pow?

many many thanks
    supercow
    Last edited by nicole; 02-11-2003, 03:37 AM.

i think they also accept ang bao.... just that its in green right? anyway, i have seen ppl giving ang bao. the malay should be able to accept. why don't you ask other malay friends?

Comment

I give ang pows to my Malay friends so I am sure it should be ok. I think ang pow is the most practical gift.

ang pow = red packet = red packet stuff with $$

Comment

$$ is always a good idea, or if you're not sure, can also get vouchers from places like TANGS, Takashimaya where they stock everything from clothes to household appliances, the couple can get whatever they want from there

Comment

For dinners at Rasa Sentosa, on average, how much ang pow money would be reasonable per person? its my colleague getting married. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Satinchris
            For dinners at Rasa Sentosa, on average, how much ang pow money would be reasonable per person? its my colleague getting married. thanks
            I think S$70-80 is the standard here? :roll: Unless it is in Raffles Hotel & Riz Calton (those more expensive places). :roll:

Comment

This is what I got last year:

(Saturdays, Eve of Public Holidays and Public Holidays)

Minimum 35 tables & above - $668 nett
              Minimum 30 tables & above - $688 nett
              Minimum 25 tables & above - $708 nett

My mentality is - for normal friend, as long as the couple don't have to lose money. Hence, I reckon $80 would be pretty resonable. Moreover, "8" is a good number.

Comment

Originally posted by Shon
                Unless it is in Raffles Hotel & Riz Calton (those more expensive places). :roll:
                I had mine in Raffles Hotel. Some idiots (there were a few) gave $60. Should have ushered them to eat in the carpark instead.

Anyway i think $80 is a good est. figure for Rasa Sentosa.

Comment

Originally posted by stressed
                  I had mine in Raffles Hotel. Some idiots (there were a few) gave $60. Should have ushered them to eat in the carpark instead.
                  Oh, really? You know my bf & I gave S$200 for the ang pow to a frien's wedding dinner in Raffles Hotel in last October. We heard some friends just gave S$80 which is a bit less I think.

Anyway, I agree with Queenie: "My mentality is - for normal friend, as long as the couple don't have to lose money. Hence, I reckon $80 would be pretty resonable. Moreover, "8" is a good number." I don't want to make friend loss money in wedding dinner.

Comment

Eh dearie, my relative has already "warned" me that she cannot afford to give $100 each for a family of four. Can I tell her not to bring her kids (one is working and one is schooling) then??

Of course it's the thoughts that count.

I heard about a story where the couple received tissue papers in the Ang Pow ok!!

Comment

Originally posted by Queenie
                      Eh dearie, my relative has already "warned" me that she cannot afford to give $100 each for a family of four. Can I tell her not to bring her kids (one is working and one is schooling) then??
                      I think this is only an accuse. :roll: If you can't afford to pay more, just come along or don't bring the children. I know this is a bit cruel to say that, but they can't make the couple to suffer the loss too. I mean relatives should be more considerate than others.

My colleague told me that most of the "uncles & aunties" gave less than S$50 as ang pow to her. Her wedding dinner was held in Pine Tree Club last year September. The couple had to pay extra S$8K from their own pocket at the end.

Comment

Actually I have the same sentiments about so long as our friend do not lose money, it is ok to give $80 per person, or $150 per couple. Unless it is some really good buddies, then of course the ang pao will be bigger also

Queenie, I think you can state in your invitation card that you are only inviting your auntie and uncle and not the entire family right? Your parents can also help verbalise this when handing them the invitation card. Since you are the bride, it is the easiest to say that how many tables are allocated for the brides family and hence have to restrict attendance

Comment

Von, but we are pretty close relative and she has always been bringing her kids to every occasions. It's not so much about the money actually but the 'cheek' of saying this in front of everyone else. :roll: She even asked me why we didn't want to hold it in a restaurant so that we will not lose so much money.

Thanks for splitting the thread, Stressy. I was thinking...we are getting out of point. Am I now with my ranting? :huh:

Comment

Originally posted by Queenie

Of course it's the thoughts that count.

I heard about a story where the couple received tissue papers in the Ang Pow ok!!
                            I had the same problem too. I "tai chi" the responsiblity of informing to my parents and ILs. It's their relatives too! Anyway, my MIL did a fabulous job. Kudos to her!

I heard from friend that some people also give red paper (no $$) in the red packet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shon
                              Oh, really? You know my bf & I gave S$200 for the ang pow to a frien's wedding dinner in Raffles Hotel in last October. We heard some friends just gave S$80 which is a bit less I think.

Based on last year's prices, for Raffles Hotel, per person

Min => $90 (Actually $80, if you add in all the +++, you'll get $90)
                              Max => the sky's the limit.

Yes, you are paying for the "name".

Comment

Working...
                              X