Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engagement Rings, Wedding Bands

edit edit edit
    Last edited by Medusa; 22-02-2008, 11:16 PM. Reason: very old

Due to the recent economic situation and the impending war.... platinum prices, like most precious metals have been at their all time high. Platinium esp.... since recently the hype now for wedding bands is platinum rather than white gold....dunno why the hype abt it, maybe like platinium credit cards are more valuable than glod ones??? hehehe

Comment

edit edit edit
      Last edited by Medusa; 22-02-2008, 11:16 PM. Reason: old

Comment

Re: Rings!

Our wedding bands are from Cartier, a thin tri-coloured (rose gold, yellow gold, white gold) band, no diamonds. We chose cartier because I adore cartier hehe, plus wedding band is something you can never "upgrade", so we decided not to save. Tri colours because I don't like all-platinium designs(like you said, too trendish for me) and no diamonds because we wanted something very basic looking, as simple as possible. I forgot the exact price, but should be around 2.5K for both.

White gold scratches more easily than platinium because its softer, so for wedding bands, I'd say go for the best quality possible. And whatever material it is, if you both plan to wear your wedding bands 24/7, don't get anything that has a polished surface, the scratches will show in a matter of months, and your heart will bleed!

If you cannot find something you like at the shops, why not design something of your own, in the material you want?

Getting married is such an exciting thing!
        Last edited by mango; 09-03-2003, 01:17 PM.

Comment

edit edit edit
          Last edited by Medusa; 22-02-2008, 11:17 PM. Reason: old

Comment

For the tri-coloured anything rubbing off each other, I did ask the SA at cartier about it, and they promised it wouldnt happen, and if it does, I have the lifetime warranty thingy to fall back on. I trust cartier hehe...

As for the worth of the engagement ring, if you ask ME, I think it should *ideally* be at least 2 months worth of the man's salary. But then again, if you're going to marry this man and spend the rest of your lives together, an issue like the ring or the worth of it usually pales in comparism. I guess it depends on whether you want to do w/o one now and wait till he can afford the IDEAL (but then it wouldn't be an engagement ring anymore) ring comfortably, or would you rather choose ot settle for something he can afford now (and you get your engagement ring)? Rubies are BEAUTIFUL, of course it'll be a great idea for an engagement ring! well, engagement rings are personal, no point letting the rest of the world decide whether ruby is appropriate as long as its good for you, I'm sure you agree!

wow, the designs you have have in mind are sure unique, and unless you customise it, it'll be hard to find. But since you'd rather save on wedding bands and spend on engagement ring, then have it customised at a reputable jeweller (there is a place at Taka called Flower, i've heard raves about their reasonably priced customisation services).

Have fun preparing for your wedding, it might be stressful, hetic and really frustrating at times, but years after you're married, you're gonna look back together and really treasure these beautiful memories!

Comment

Erm... while on the topic of jewellay... can i ask a question?

I have a huge earring leave behind by my grandmum who passed away. It has 8 diamonds and since the design is really old and i dun see myself wearing a big diamond earring.. i was thinking of getting it re-set into pendants and ring etc.

Anyone has a cheap and good place to recommend? Do they do the design for you as well ? What is the rough price for setting and designing one ?

The diamonds are not top grade. In fact i think i see a wee bit of yellow in them. But it has great sentimental value to me so was hopping to re-set them at a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetmango
                For the tri-coloured anything rubbing off each other, I did ask the SA at cartier about it, and they promised it wouldnt happen, and if it does, I have the lifetime warranty thingy to fall back on. I trust cartier hehe...

You've got the Eternity ring!!! We're planning to get that for our wedding bands too!! Went to Cartier and Tiffany's a few weeks back to look at rings. We're both in love with the eternity ring.

I feel rather overwhelmed and I haven't gotten my engagement ring yet also. He did mention that he should be spending 2 months of his salary on it but I think it's too much to spend on a ring.

Do the married ladies on this forum wear their engagement rings with your wedding bands or just the wedding bands?

Comment

I don't even wear my rings!!! :roll: Long story, but essentially, I have tiny fingers and even though we re-sized the rings, the jewellers couldn't resize it any further to fit my fingers exactly, so I only wear my diamond ring on weekends now...

I'm not much of a rings person...in fact, I dare say my SO wears more jewellery than I do. :ROFL: But both my wedding band and engagement ring are platinum....I inisisted on that because I'm so rough and keep walking into things, and also, I'm allergic to white gold and some yellow gold. My SO swears that I'm just expensive. :ROFL:

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbread
                    You've got the Eternity ring!!! We're planning to get that for our wedding bands too!! Went to Cartier and Tiffany's a few weeks back to look at rings. We're both in love with the eternity ring.

I feel rather overwhelmed and I haven't gotten my engagement ring yet also. He did mention that he should be spending 2 months of his salary on it but I think it's too much to spend on a ring.

Do the married ladies on this forum wear their engagement rings with your wedding bands or just the wedding bands?

actually I forgot the name of our rings but I don't think its the eternity ring, is eternity ring the one that has 3 seperate bands intertwined with each other (or maybe mine is also under the eternity range?)? Ours is a one-ring band with 3 colours and 3 "layer" that you can actually feel if you touch. haha, I wonder if you can understand my poor explanation :ROFL: Anyway, I much prefer cartier over tiffany's somehow, and cartier's wedding band designs are gorgeous, have fun picking!

Comment

edit edit edit
                      Last edited by Medusa; 22-02-2008, 11:17 PM. Reason: old

Comment

Originally posted by Joce7878
                        What!! One ring only... forever... cannot lah. I made SO promise that we will renew vows every five yrs... that means new bands/rings every 5 yrs, kekekekeke
                        Wow, what a brilliant idea!!

*thinking to myself: If I get hubby to do that, it means I get to have new bands every 5 years? wowwiee.....*

Comment

mel, the rings you picked all lookso unique! very nice but i guess it will be hard to find rings like those in singapore.

OT, realised i have a ring that looks exactly like the circa 1990 one in one of the links! but smaller lah. hahaha.....

Comment

edit edit edit
                            Last edited by Medusa; 22-02-2008, 11:18 PM. Reason: old

Comment

wow... sounds like a big headache yet so fun too!!
                              i think the first one in the links mel posted is nice... simple and elegant...

2mths salary?! Thats like maybe 4k-5k? waaa.... sounds like a lot of money... i think if i'm going to end up with this bf of mine(actually very far from now but lets be hypothetical), he'll vomit blood man... and yak at me for the rest of my life!!! he's such a block of wood! :dizzy:
                              Last edited by meow123; 13-03-2003, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X