X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of "Gold"

I've come into realization that I no longer suit silver accessories. I'm gearing towards gold now. This is what age does to me.

However, I know nuts about types of gold. Not that I want to go for "real" solid gold kind of jewelry. But I want affordable ones which do not tarnish with exposure to moisture and chemical. What does gold plated mean? Those costume jewelry at DKNY, CK etc, do the gold tarnish with time? How do I read into the specs when the SA tells me so?

Besides gold-plated, you can explore both solid gold and gold-filled options.

Gold-filled is a 5 to 10% thick layer of gold so unlike gold-plated, which is a microscopic layer, the gold will not easily wear off over time. This is a more economical option to solid gold given gold prices nowadays.

If you still prefer solid gold, there's 14K, 18K, 22K (also known as 916). The difference lies in the amount of gold mixed in the alloy. 24K is 100% gold. So 14K is 14/24 = about 58.3% gold, 18K is 75%, 22K is 91.6% 18K and 22K is common in Asia, whereas in Western countries, 14K is the common standard. 14K is a lighter yellowish colour, which I personally like coz I think its more modern People usually buy 18K or 22K for its traditional value (more pawn-able lol~) and its a darker yellow.

Then it comes to the colour...yellow, white, rose, even green and purple! This depends on taste Personally, I like rose gold and 14K yellow gold is really growing on me for its understated yellow.

Comment

Working...
    X