Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep jewelry clean?

Hi guys...

I'm pretty newbie here. Anyway I love necklaces and earrings - be it silver or gold. However i got a problem...now most of my necklaces and earrings are quite dusty n not shiny anymore.

Do any of u know how to clean it n make it shine again DIY??

Thanks!

for silver, you can try buying silver polish from diy stores. bit messy though. or get silver polishing cloths also from diy stores. it helps if you wet it a bit.

for gemstone jewelry set in plat or gold, i usually use dishwashing liquid and warm water. soak the piece in for about 10 mins, then lightly brush with a baby toothbrush, concentrating on areas that trap dirt and dust (e.g. underneath of settings).

you can also find professional jewelry cleaning fluids at diy stores but i prefer the dishwashing method.

Comment

for gold/white gold, you can always bring it back to the shop and ask them to polish for you. Not sure if they charge.

Comment

For gold, you can boil them in hot water and after that use a brush to brush the dirt away. Then raise it with water. (Don't try it with gems....dunno what effect it will have after boiling them in water.)

Comment

I buy this silver cleaner from Perlini's. Gold, white gold, silver, fake silver, real diamond, real stone..everything I throw in. If it does not work, and if its expensive can try to bring back to the shop you buy from (for jewellery).

Comment

I use toothbrush & darlie toothpaste to clean my earrings and necklace.

Some 925 necklace after sweat it will turn not so shiiny so i use toothbrush & toothpaste to clean and it will be as shiny as ever.

But i wonder will it do bad for my jewellery?

Comment

of cos it will do really bad to your jewellery.. i was told, " look at what toothpaste does to your teeth (whitens-kind of bleach), so it does to your jewellery. It will slowly scorch away the layer of the jewellery and thinning it..definately no good. moreover, the tooth brush is soft to our gum but it may be harsh to our jewellery.

Better use a proper jewellery cleaners that has the special agent and anti-tarnish formula to protect the jewellery.

Comment

Ahappycherry, can i know how much is the silver cleaner?

me currently looking for silver cleaner too~ mine not v expensive from perlini and other brands (some are birthday gifts so i'm not very sure which brand too) so can i still use silver cleaner? is it safe? i heard some may like "rot" away or something like that?

anyone know where to get polishing cloth? is it cheaper? thanks

Comment

hey guys... is it just me or do you notice after using the perlini's silver cleaner the jewellry turns slightly yellowish? maybe its just me

Comment

I kept all my jewelleries in their own respective box. For cleaning, i will use mama lemon detergent & water, soak the jewelleries in the mixture for a few minutes, then soak them again in another bowl of clear water and wipe it dry with a clean cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by lydiaruth View Post
                      hey guys... is it just me or do you notice after using the perlini's silver cleaner the jewellry turns slightly yellowish? maybe its just me

ya, for the perlinis you can only use on silver as its very strong that it can harm your other jewellery like gold or stones.. I got one that is same brand as perlini's but its a new version with improved formula.. perlini's is selling the old version.. you can see my other post for their contact.. ive been recommended to many of my freinds and relatives about this product which had just been featured in Straits Times few weeks ago...

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
                        I kept all my jewelleries in their own respective box. For cleaning, i will use mama lemon detergent & water, soak the jewelleries in the mixture for a few minutes, then soak them again in another bowl of clear water and wipe it dry with a clean cloth.

hey, i was advised NOT to use any household detergent/tooth paste on our precious jewellery.. the logic is just imagine what these cleaners do to our household products and teeth? cleans the stubborn dirt and bleach the teeth right? so it will do the same to our jewellery which with more stronger effect because of the cleaning agents are meant for household products bot on our delicate pecious jewellery..and in the long run, it will slowly damage our jewellery. In contrast, using a jwellery cleaner which is specially formulated for jewellery, it will remove tarnish effectively and protect the jewellery from further damages.

Comment

just stumbled upon this threat.. The jewellry cleaners that im currently using is Connoisseurs brand. ive been using it for more than a decade!! its really good. All my jewelleries are still as new as it is, even my grandma's..

Comment

please stop posing as customers of asiapoint, bizbuz/zingo zing. it is quite obvious that you either own or work for the company. after all, i don't think it is a coincidence that all your posts are either on nail salons or jewelry cleaners?

i agree that connoisseurs is a good brand for jewelry cleaners, i myself have been using them for many years. but your blatant deceptive means of advertising is putting people off.

also, please don't mislead others with false information.

hey, i was advised NOT to use any household detergent/tooth paste on our precious jewellery.. the logic is just imagine what these cleaners do to our household products and teeth? cleans the stubborn dirt and bleach the teeth right? so it will do the same to our jewellery which with more stronger effect because of the cleaning agents are meant for household products bot on our delicate pecious jewellery..and in the long run, it will slowly damage our jewellery.
                            the toothpaste comment i agree with as it may be abrasive. but what's wrong with using dishwashing liquid when even jewelry experts recommend this as a quick and gentle method?

The one that i have now which i mentioned in my previous reply, it is the best cleaners among other in the market and claims that able to fill in tiny scratches on jewellry upon regular use.
                            i know this is stated on connoisseurs website but i've never observed from my own use that it can fill in scratches. and i've been using it for more than 5 years.

Comment

charmelise : My jewellers recommend gentle dishwashing liquid too and I agree it's convenient and effective. Similarly, I'd be equally skeptical if a cleaner claims to be able to fill in scratches. The folks who run plating services would be up in arms.

Comment

Working...
                              X