Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subsitutes for diamonds

hi girls,

i'm not sure if i'm the only one who was deeply impressed by the message from the movie "Blood Diamond". So happens that SO and I are getting more serious and we've been doing some mindless ring-shopping (just plain look-see), and I've been doing some research on the internet about diamonds regarding why it is so expensive and the theory of the "controlled" supply in the diamond industry.

Long story short, I'm considering whether to purchase diamond simulants instead and realise there's many kinds - more info here.

1. Diamond stimulant - GordonMax

2. Moissanite - Moiss jewelry

3. Zircon

4. Cubic Zirconia

I understand that of cos there is no identical replacement for diamond. But what I am concerned about is the durability to wear and tear, i want to be able to wear the jewelry everyday and not worry about it losing its brilliance. So far i think only diamonds have this quality, so what is the best substitute? Any jewelry expert can advise?

Appreciated. Thanks!

Not a jewelry expert, but my GordonMax has lost its brilliance (or maybe it's the cut of the stone). And i don't even wear it everyday. It's definitely not on par with diamonds.

Comment

wow, thanks for the feedback mitzgral - sorrie to hear that yr gm has lost its shine, how much did u pay for it?

so gordonmax is out for me i guess. i think it's one of the more economically priced simulants, the most expensive being moissanite and they insist on the webby it is not a diamond simulant but a lab-produced replication of a mineral found in an asteroid.

have u tried any other diamond simulants?

Comment

Fully agree with miztgral. I bought a pair of GordonMax earrings (during a promotion). The 'stones' looked very sparkly in the store, perhaps due to the spotlights? However, after a short while, they lost the lustre and just looked like cheap earrings purchased from the night market. The setting was also not well done, because some kind of green algae/mould grew in between the stones and the metal clasp. I threw them away in the end.

I think nothing beats the real thing in this case. Hence, I always swear by real diamonds (sadly though, it's a once in a blue moon splurge!).

Comment

Ah, I bought the ring long time ago, I think when they just launched at Bugis (now I think the counter's gone anyway)... paid only $50 for it... yes, agree with creepcake, it was really shiny when I bought it, but doesn't last.

Comment

do you mean the stones are not shiny or the metal. is it possible to clean it with a soft toothbrush or cloth to get rid of grime or something? i've quite wondered about the longevity of some of these substitutes, cos iirc some of them are supposed to be of nearly the same chemical composition as natural diamonds?
            Last edited by happybean; 05-03-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Since it's going to be an engagement ring .. ie a solitaire ... you are seriously better off with a real diamond. I've been buying jewellery through the years and I"ve come to realize that gold jewellery is still the best ... no tarnishing ... unlike costume jewellery and for stones, you can't beat diamonds. Do your research, see what you like and what your budget is and get a diamond. You'll be able to wear it for years to come!

Comment

happybean : The stones dulled after a while. I tried cleaning them but to no avail.

Comment

oh my, that's disappointing i guess natural and original is best

Comment

Originally posted by kristalangel View Post
                    Since it's going to be an engagement ring .. ie a solitaire ... you are seriously better off with a real diamond. I've been buying jewellery through the years and I"ve come to realize that gold jewellery is still the best ... no tarnishing ... unlike costume jewellery and for stones, you can't beat diamonds. Do your research, see what you like and what your budget is and get a diamond. You'll be able to wear it for years to come!
                    thanks for the advice kristalangel - do u change ur engagement ring/wedding bands over the year? my good friend's advice was to get a diamond ring but not too ex, as our ring size will change in years to come, and we would need to buy a new one.

i have personal reasons why i will try my best not to get a diamond, i really dislike how the diamond trade operates - controlled supply to ensure prices r kept high, and the trading of conflict diamonds... yes it is indeed a precious and beautiful stone, but its price is kept unnaturally high so that it can keep its snob appeal (apologies for the strong word but i can't find another word for it).

as for the metal used in the jewelry, i would be going for white gold and platinum, for simple reasons of durability and shine. have u tried any of the mentioned simulants/substitutes?

Comment

your engagement ring need not have diamonds. you can use other precious stones like emeralds, sapphires, rubies, even jade. it's whatever means most to you and your SO that counts.

you don't even have to have an engagement ring if you choose not to.

just my

Comment

happybean,

yea i do agree with you, just thought that the diamond does looks very pretty and prefer it to the sapphires and rubies - agree completely with u that a real meaningful token of love need not be conventional ring with a white stone

Comment

if you want a diamond look a like, you can try mossanite.

i've seen my friend's, she has a 1 carat size, it looks like a bad grade yellowish diamond but the sparkle is similiar to real diamond. but once your eyes get used to it, you can tell the difference, mossanite cutting is flatter somewhat. i think hers was set with white gold but i don't know what kind.

frankly, if my hubby told me i couldn't buy diamonds anymore (due to principle and not due to finances), i wouldn't go for mossanite. i'd feel like i'm trying to pass it off as a real diamond.

i'd go for a precious gemstones or pearls instead.

Comment

if compared to diamonds of course pearls are not hardy at all.

on the other hand, if pearls are taken care well, they can last long. i've seen vintage mikimoto pearl necklaces....still beautiful.

Comment

frankly, it's not a matter of budget, SO can well afford diamond ring and was all prepared to get one. i was the one who asked him to hold it. must admit diamonds r beautiful, but is it worth its high price? the answer is probably subjective.

Seems like moissanite might not be an ideal option - as for precious stones, are they as lasting and easy to maintain as diamonds? my semi-precious stone bracelet can't be worn daily according to the retailer, daily contact with sweat, soap and other elements will cause to to cloud very fast...

i won't want to get a precious gem ring that can't withstand everyday use...

Comment

Working...
                              X