X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearls - the gems of ancient history

Was wondering if anybody share my interest in pearls. True, first impression of pearls is of that white strands of baubles adorning the aged wrist of our grandmothers or so but I always feel that they make a woman look so elegant (Look at all those Japanese ladies!!)

This is one of those small webby dedicated to pearl jewellery. Not much variety so anyone have better looking ones, pls post up

Millennium Horizon

When I think of pearls, Mikimoto comes to mind!

Mikimoto

I think Mikimoto has some gorgeous collections that don't look too mumsy. The Japan site has the nicest and most modern designs. Some are very cute, like butterflies and stars. But too bad our local outlet doesn't carry much of the collectionss. For X'mas. Mikimoto Japan had this really simple pendant consisting of a single pearl set in the middle of a snowflake. I tried my luck and called the store at Centrepoint and was super duper excited when they said they did have a snowflake pendant. But when I got there, it was a really huge one made of many small pearls. Very tai-tai looking.... :roll:

I think pearls are really elegant and would look great with a simple black dress at a formal dinner. Which reminds me... in uni, there was this girl who wore a string of pearls over her turtleneck sweater to class. We all called her the tai-tai wannabe.

Comment

I love pearl studs My fav color is champagn and pink!

Comment

To me, white pearls are still very tai-tai. But I LOVEEEE black pearls. Especially a set - single-pearl stud earrings and a thin choker with a single perfect pearl.

Still hinting at the bf.

Comment

Originally posted by visee
          For X'mas. Mikimoto Japan had this really simple pendant consisting of a single pearl set in the middle of a snowflake. I tried my luck and called the store at Centrepoint and was super duper excited when they said they did have a snowflake pendant.
          Was it the one you wanted and did you get it??

In Japan now, it is fashionable to make a bow using different coloured ribbon and wear the bow at the nape or just 'side-neck'

From Mikimoto, I like the latest one where the pearl is at the base of an oval ring. Do you think I can find that in Singapore??
          Last edited by teiko; 16-02-2004, 01:08 AM.

Comment

I think what really make the pearls look really tai-tai is the settings. Now chomel has some pieces that manages to look fashionable. Just got a Xmas gift: Multiple pearls threaded through a metal string(gaps in between each pearl)

This is super duper easy to match clothes but I cant find it anymore.....

Comment

Chev, I'm sure you'll be able to find the design you like from Mikimoto. But Mikimoto is just like Tiffany, IMO, overpriced.

Still. I the designs! I bought myself a pair of pearl studs, small and elegant. I could never find the same kind of small size delicate pearls from run of the mill jewelry stores here in Singapore.

I love pearls. But I don't like them in abundance though.

Xue, if you think white pearls are tai-tai or auntie, then you haven't got yourself to Mikimoto yet. They have the quaintest design. And some very bold and modern designs.

Comment

yes, i love pearls! but i do feel i'm a little too immature to carry them off. :roll: wait a few years, and i'll be ready (hopefully!)

my faves are white and black. i think white pearls are so perfect and creamy-looking

Comment

Originally posted by teiko
                  Was it the one you wanted and did you get it??
                  Nope, it wasn't the one I wanted. I don't think our local stores carry the Japanese collections.

I really like black pearls too! The pendant you posted is gorgeous! I think they might have it here since it's on the main website. You might want to check with the Mikimoto store in Centrepoint or the counter at Taka.

Comment

I think what really make the pearls look really tai-tai is the settings. Now chomel has some pieces that manages to look fashionable. Just got a Xmas gift: Multiple pearls threaded through a metal string(gaps in between each pearl)

This is super duper easy to match clothes but I cant find it anymore.....
                    I quite like some of the pieces from Chomel, but too bad the metal part is not for sensitive skin.

xue, maybe you want to check out Denni, they have really nice pearl studs.

islande, maybe you could start off with pearl studs, which you pair off with jeans and plain tees.

Comment

Yes, this was sold last season but not sure if they are selling these necklaces now. I last called and this costs about more than $1K? Sorry, i can't remember that much...but it was featured in the magazine.

I like pearls in black and champagne. Best to have them in dangling earrings or necklace with nice simple designs.

Alternatively, you can check out those showcases at Isetan Scotts. Though the price is a lot more cheaper than Mikimoto but the designs is not really there. HTH!
                      Last edited by dolphin; 19-08-2004, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Xue, Black pearls are unique! I like them too! But have been searching for one but no luck.

Comment

Ah! 1K Dont think I will have the kind of moolah for that...... Agree with Karen on this:note:

Isetan is a good place to look for plain pearl stud. Just got a pair at their boutique sale the other day. It is a bit pinkish
                          Last edited by teiko; 17-02-2004, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I just bought heart shaped pearl earrings last year and i wore a pearl necklace during chinese new year too. I do love pearls like you teiko! =)

Comment

Originally posted by lovedust
                              heart shaped pearl earrings
                              Heart shaped? That must be lovely!

Comment

Working...
                              X