Join CozyCot to get the insider's edge
Like us on facebook
Follow us on twitter
Follow us on instagram
Follow us on pinterest
Follow Us on Pinterest
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Reasons for Leaving

Hi Gals, always wonder what others have been putting in their resumes as their reasons for leaving their ex-companies? For mine, it's always the usual few; change of working environment, stagnant in job progression, want to learn more etc etc... what's yours? Care to share?

hmmm... your above reasons seemed to be the reasons for leaving a job you have been in quite a number of years.

sometimes, giving reasons are such a headache. Cuz we cant say anything that's very truth (as in why we actually have to leave the company despite working for only a short period of time) which would reflect bad on us. Anyway, mine reasons are irregular working hours/ inconvenient workplace locations.

i left because i realised my boss was "psychotic" but of cos i cannot put that down in my resume. so i have to put "change of environment" or "better opportunities". i think it doesn't really matter unless we really have a bad record with the ex-company...

Quote Originally Posted by dodger
    i left because i realised my boss was "psychotic" but of cos i cannot put that down in my resume. so i have to put "change of environment" or "better opportunities". i think it doesn't really matter unless we really have a bad record with the ex-company...
    hey dodger, same here. I left my previous company because the ex-boss was a crazy woman !
    But I have to say because I feel I am unsuitable for the job in previous company, no interest etc.
    better do not bad-mouth your previous company and left any bad impression

i will never never forget how she bang her head on the table when my ex-colleague rebuked her question. and also how she use the pointer rod and hit the ceiling till the ceiling tiles fall.
    yes, it may sound ridiculous. but this is true. i cannot believe it too
    and it was said that she wil put curse in her food. and after eating you will experience something bad.
    we never never eat lunch with her.
    but there is once when no choice we had to because our US colleague come over.
    she footed the bill.
    and the moment we went back, all 4 of us experience some kind of disasters in our work - 2 of us has the machine line run down. one cannot get the stocks delivered in time. another made mistakes in the order and got fined by the purchasing manager.
    really will suffer mental breakdown if work under her ... ...
    she is like an internal enemy... a boss you cannot trust, if you tell her your personal stuff, she will go around add salt and spices and spread things out.
    in terms of work, she will not protect you, she will always stand on outsider side.
    Last edited by plasterger; 24-04-2006 at 03:56 PM.

oh dear plasterger ... your boss sounds mad

luckily you left b4 she could cause you any permanent problem

Cozy Star Array

yeah ur boss sounds like a real psycho, I'll freaked out and leave as well

plasterger: so how long have you been under the monstress? and what reason did you give for quitting this job?

i find it quite difficult to get a reason when one is only in the job or like 2-6mths and state reasons like "change of environment" or "job stagnent".

hey plasterger, wow, yr boss does seems bonkers man! never knew there are many crazy bosses around!

i'm not supposed to reveal too much abt my ex crazy boss except that the first year was fine, cos he left me pretty much alone. then suddenly started probing into my life, asking me this, that and being very chummy with me while digging information abt me. then started behaving erratically with me, suddenly so happy, suddenly slam doors, show black face for nothing. his mood swings got too scary as well as the way he stares at me. found out he was snooping around my emails later.

plasterger, mine also cooked up stories after i left. think i told him too much personal info then he fabricated his own stories... maybe both yr ex boss and mine will get along really well!!!

anyway, i cant put it to words how creepy he was but jus glad i'm out of it.

hi, candie, lulufey, yes, i was freaked out at first. later my ex-colleagues told me this is her usual self, don't be so shocked. and they make fun of her by rebuking her back - "why don't you also bang against the wall ? it be more effective ! " all of us burst into laughter !! all my ex-colleagues under her all cannot stand her, and have been enduring her, and all planning to quit, so we dare to rebuke her in this way ! haha...

hi phinecyz, I quit after my probation - that is 6 months.
    for me, guess i am lucky. because my 1st job is in retail.
    and this crazy company with a crazy boss is my 2nd job , in a semi-con industry
    when i quit, i simply tell my current company that I want to come back to retail. again. because semi-con industry not suitable for me.

hi dodger, is your boss carrying a touch for you ?
    my gf also in same situation as you previously and later on, she discovered, her boss carrying a touch for her !

plasterger, yikes but it sure feels like he is but we're both married you know? a lot of strange and bad things happened before and after i left and i'm certain he's behind it. that's why i think he's absolutely cuckoo. otherwise, i think i won't be so angry... sorry, can't elaborate on what happened in case i get in trouble... sorry, must cool down... happy thoughts, happy thoughts!

oops, sorry plasterger, so what happened to your gf?

Cozy Rookie Array

Quote Originally Posted by plasterger
    hey dodger, same here. I left my previous company because the ex-boss was a crazy woman !
    But I have to say because I feel I am unsuitable for the job in previous company, no interest etc.
    better do not bad-mouth your previous company and left any bad impression

i will never never forget how she bang her head on the table when my ex-colleague rebuked her question. and also how she use the pointer rod and hit the ceiling till the ceiling tiles fall.
    yes, it may sound ridiculous. but this is true. i cannot believe it too
    and it was said that she wil put curse in her food. and after eating you will experience something bad.
    we never never eat lunch with her.
    but there is once when no choice we had to because our US colleague come over.
    she footed the bill.
    and the moment we went back, all 4 of us experience some kind of disasters in our work - 2 of us has the machine line run down. one cannot get the stocks delivered in time. another made mistakes in the order and got fined by the purchasing manager.
    really will suffer mental breakdown if work under her ... ...
    she is like an internal enemy... a boss you cannot trust, if you tell her your personal stuff, she will go around add salt and spices and spread things out.
    in terms of work, she will not protect you, she will always stand on outsider side.
    pretty scary huh....

Default Reasons for Leaving

I've been thinking of quitting my current job for the longest time, and the urge is getting stronger especially when the going gets tough This is not good as I'm supposed to be able to handle crisis and tough clients at my level.

I thought I had landed the job of my dreams when it was offered to me 1.5 years ago. It's still a great job, especially to those who loves beauty and marcomm and a challenging and dynamic job. However, the stress due to tight deadlines, endless amendments, working non-stop for long hours (I usually work 12 hours a day on average), demanding and unreasonable clients, uncooperative colleagues and lack of leadership from my bosses is getting to me. I must admit my working environment and clients are not the worst as there are more terrible places and people in my industry. And its true that in my line of work, such unpleasant things are inevitable and perpertual. This brings me to my question - should I quit my job? or even leave this industry totally?

I've been in this line for about 5 years and have handled various accounts and different type of clients. I still love the nature of the job but loving it is not enough, being able to cope with the stress is another thing altogether. One of my friend told me she reckons I cannot handle the stress that comes with my work. Maybe she is right, although some ex-colleagues said that is an unfair statement as she is not in my shoes.

I'm really confused now.

I need a break to sort out my thought and re-evaluate myself. Even then, I can't take leave cos my work is piling up and there is no one to take over my work while I'm gone. Yes, we are that understaffed and frankly, I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. My boss is aware of the situation and is trying her best to help us, but so far I don't see any improvements at all.

My health and well-being have been affected. My heart pounds very hard all the time - no thanks to constant urgent work, rushing around, fear of not meeting the deadline, anger at the client's stupid demands, etc. I try to relax and take it easy but it is easier said than done.

Thanks for listening to my rant. And I just like to find out what are your reasons for quitting your jobs.

Cozy Rookie Array

I always believe there are no perfect jobs out there, it's just the extend of how sucky the job is

I left my previous company as I had a very lousy boss. She screams at people for no apparent reason EVERYDAY, refuses to apologise for accusing the wrong person for the wrong things (it happened to me twice just 2 months on the job), scolds people without even knowing the whole story, holds grudges, bad-mouth people. In all, she is not a boss who is approachable and not someone whom I can look upon to in that company. I left only after 3 months on the job as I couldn't stand her nonsense anymore. And I never regretted it.

Witchery, sorry to hear about your frustration, Hang in there! And hope everything will turn out fine for you. Take care.

witchery
    for my previous job..
    i was clocking 15 hours minimum per day... more on weekends..
    like you, i was under tremendous stress and pressure..
    the last straw came when i suffered from mild depression..
    i had heart palpitations and was prone to bursting into tears out of the blue..
    that was when i thought to myself "what the hell am i doing with my life"..
    i tendered my resignation the next day..

with regards to handling stress..
    i wouldnt say u cant handle stress..
    personally.. its a matter of how much stress can u handle?
    different people have different threshold level..
    after having gone through hell...
    my threshold level has increased...
    so perhaps stuff that others find it stressful..
    to me, i find it tolerable..

another issue i would like to highlight is that the problem may lie with your company..
    i have been doing the same thing in three different companies..
    and each company operates differently which equates to different stress level faced by the staff..
    ie different expectations of management, different level of workload, blah blah blah..
    obviously my previous job was the worst..
    partly due to the super highly political environment, evil boss and super understaffed..
    they took soooo long to find someone to help me.. so essentially i had to do everything on my own..
    so i was wondering, for your case, as you mentioned that your company is understaffed, this could unduely result in added stress..

since u like the nature of the job, a few possibilities..
    1) discuss with your management their plans to solve the staffing problem to ease the workload..if they do have plans to increase headcount.. grit your teeth and endure the stress.. or if possible, discuss your problem with your management and try to work out something..
    2) find another company whose environment is not as stressful..
    3) take no pay leave to allow you to recuperate and reengergise yourself..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast